Incontinence underwear can be a discreet and comfortable option, meaning many prefer it to bulky pads or all in ones. However, it can be difficult to choose a product when you have a lack of knowledge on the different pants.
When choosing pants, bear in mind that there are two different types. You can choose between washable absorbent underwear and washable fixation pants. The aim of fixation pants is to keep your incontinence pad in place. They actually do not contain any absorbency, and should never be worn alone. Appearance wise, fixation pants are often high waisted and larger than washable briefs. You can purchase pants with legs for extra security, or without legs.
Absorbent pants, on the other hand, are designed to manage light urinary loss. Unlike fixation pants, they can be worn alone under clothing. Think of these like the normal pants you would wear every day.
The Benefits of Incontinence Underwear
- It is Washable. Incontinence Underwear is washable, meaning it can be a cost-effective alternative to disposable underwear.
- It has a “Normal Underwear Feel”. Many people are put off buying incontinence products in fear that they may feel bulky or uncomfortable. Incontinence underwear is designed to feel just like normal pants, so you won’t be able to tell the difference.
- It's Discreet. Disposable pants are discreet under clothing, allowing you to feel confident throughout the day.
- It Allows Freedom of Movement. Pants are flexible and breathable, so you won’t feel restrained or uncomfortable. They are therefore suitable for those with an active lifestyle.
- It is Available in Different Styles. You can choose between Y-Front, Boxer Style, Pouch Pants and more.
Do You Have Nocturnal Enuresis? Read Our Guide to Nighttime Incontinence Products
Which Pant is Ideal for You?
To find out which pants are ideal for you, you need to ask yourself the following questions:
- Is Your Incontinence Lighter or Heavier?
In general, absorbent briefs are recommended for individuals with light incontinence, as they do not have a high absorbency. Many people do prefer these as they appear and feel just like small briefs.
Fixation pants with a pad on the other hand, are more ideal for those with heavier incontinence.
- Are You New to Incontinence Products?
For those who have been wearing a pad for a while, it can feel natural and comfortable. However, if you are new to incontinence and worried about a pad design, absorbent briefs can be much less daunting.
Are You Happy with Your Pad, but Struggle to Keep it in Place?
If keeping your pad in place is a problem but you don’t want to change products, fixation pants can be perfect. They will simply ensure your pad works to its full potential and keeps you protected.
If you do choose an absorbent brief, make sure you choose one that is suitable for your level of incontinence. Generally, larger style pants tend to be more absorbent.
Looking for a pad? Shop our full range of incontinence pads.
So what is the best incontinence underwear? Here are our recommendations of incontinence underwear, based on price, absorbency and comfort: