Adult diapers and plastic pants are both ideal for heavy urinary and faecal incontinence. However, they should both be worn in different ways, and have various benefits.
Plastic pants are commonly worn on top of adult diapers for additional security. When worn together, they provide the ultimate protection for urinary and faecal leaks. However, each have their separate pros and cons.
What are they designed for?
Adult diapers, also known as all in ones, are designed for heavy to severe incontinence. They are designed to be worn in replacement of your normal underwear, and are designed in either a belted style or feature fixation strips.
- They are highly absorbent. All in ones have the highest absorbency level of all the different designs
- Ideal for overnight use. Due to their high absorbency, adult diapers are often worn overnight. They also do not move around, maintaining secure and effective during the night.
- Easier to change than pull up pants. All in ones have velcro fastening or fixation tapes, and are therefore easy to put on and take off.
- Ideal for people with low mobility. Due to their high absorbency and easy removal method, they are often recommended for people with low or mobility. Carers often opt for this design, as they are much easier to put on individuals than pull up pants.
- Adult diapers are larger than other pads. All in ones are larger in general than other products, which often makes them bulkier and less discreet.
- They often do not feel like normal underwear. All in ones do not feel like normal underwear. They can feel a lot different to cotton incontinence pants, due to their design and material.
- Diapers are not as cost effective as washable products. Adult diapers are disposable, meaning you have to purchase the products frequently.
- All in ones are can sometimes make you warm. All in ones cover all the lower body, which makes some people too hot and uncomfortable.
What are they designed for?
Plastic pants are designed to be worn on top of an existing product, such as a pad or pant. They are waterproof and have a plastic feel, rather than the soft, cotton feel of a pull up pant. Plastic pants are often used for extra protection against leaks. Remember, these pants cannot be used alone and must be worn on top of another product.
- Provide peace of mind and additional security. Are you worried about your products not being absorbent enough? Or have you found the perfect product but would like more reliability? Plastic pants provide you with confidence and peace of mind.
- They are highly durable. Waterproof plastic pants are washable, saving you many and serving as a durable pants.
- They can protect bedding and clothing. The plastic is effective in providing a reliable barrier your leaks and your clothes or bedding.
- They are effective at masking smells. Plastic pants are effective at containing odour if you have a leak from your product underneath.
- They can sometimes make you warm. Similar to adult diapers, some people find plastic pants make you warm and uncomfortable.
- The pants provide less flexibility for some people. As plastic feels very different to cotton and gel, many people find they restrict movement.
- It can take a long time to get used to the feel of plastic pants. Wearing plastic pants can come as a shock to some people, however you do get used to them overtime.
- Some plastic pants should be washed in the sink. Whilst some plastic pants can be washed in the washing machine, others should be washed in the sink by hand.
Are you Suitable for Both Designs?
If you are very active and have moderate to heavy incontinence, pull up pants will be more ideal for you. This is due to them being much harder to put on and take off. However, if you have low mobility or very heavy to severe incontinence, an all in one will likely be the best choice for you. Plastic pants can be worn over the top of an all in one if you feel you need extra protection and reliability.