Looking after incontinent seniors means choosing a perfect product in addition to providing care. Find out the most popular incontinence pants for elderly individuals.
What Causes Incontinence in Elderly Individuals?
There are a number of reasons why incontinence is more prevalent in elderly individuals. Several cognitive diseases such as Multiple Sclerosis and Alzheimer’s Disease are more prevalent in seniors. These conditions can interrupt the communication between the brain, bladder and bowel.
As men get older, they are also more likely to have prostate problems. The prostate slowly grows larger as men get older. If it gets too large, this can cause urinary incontinence.
As a person ages, inevitable changes in the body can make elderly urinary incontinence a more likely occurrence.
Damage to the nerves that control the bladder can be caused by diseases such as Diabetes and Parkinson's Disease. These conditions are also much more common in seniors.
The Benefits of Incontinence Pull Up Pants
Incontinence pull up pants provide maximum discretion and feel just like normal underwear. Many people prefer this design as they often feature an elasticated waistband. Seniors can often feel more independent and discreet wearing incontinence pants.
Here are the key features of pull up pants:
- Snug, close and comfortable fit
- Discreet appearance that looks like normal underwear
- A comfortable, elasticated waist
- The ease of buying an all-in-one product rather than shopping separately
- An option for both washable and disposable pants
- A built in absorbent pad meaning you won’t have purchase pants and a pad
- Comfortable, soft material
- Neutralizing Odour Technology
- Flexibility and Freedom of Movement
- Perfect for users with an active lifestyle
- Create no rustling or noise
Choosing Incontinence Pants for Elderly Individuals
Consider their Severity
If they have heavy incontinence, choose a product with a high absorbency. If you can, find a product with a “Maxi” rating. This is particularly important if you have faecal incontinence.
Consider their Comfort Preferences
It might be a good idea to order a sample pant for the individual to try before you purchase some pants. Some seniors who have never worn an incontinence pant before tend to pull them off and move them around. If you can, stick to what they are already used to.
Do they Have Sensitive Skin?
If they have sensitive skin, you need to choose latex free pants. Most pants will state on the packaging if they been tested on sensitive skin. Some pants feature super soft waistbands, providing a closer fit.
Ensure they Fit Snugly
You need to ensure they are wearing the right size, so they don’t get leaks in the leg holes. To provide them with an accurate fit, measure their hips and waist, taking the larger of two. Having an accurate size really makes a difference.
Popular Heavy Incontinence Pants for Elderly Individuals
- For moderate incontinence
- Feel just like normal underwear
- Perfect for seniors who prioritize discretion
- Maximum comfort on the skin
- Elasticated waist
- Soft cotton feel back sheet
How Can We Make Elderly Incontinence Care Even Better? Read our Guide to Improving Incontinence Care for the Elderly